Application portfolio task for Winter semester 2019/20
1. This year's portfolio task is as follows: 10 works on the theme of "Ruhe".
It is part of the task to determine the scope of the theme's development for yourself. The opportunities for interpretation range from the design of concrete products to the presentation of visionary concepts and manifestations. The format of the portfolio may not exceed DIN A1 but there is freedom in selection of materials and enthusiastic experimentation is welcomed. Any models produced may not be submit-ted in the portfolio as originals, but only in documented form.
2. Additional free pieces of work
Approximately 15 of your own, freely selected works, which demonstrate that you are capable of embarking on a degree in the creative field of "Design". Please do not include any works from school lessons; please also take note of our "Application Handbook", which you can find on uwid.de. All sheets should be DIN A2 format, and must be marked with first and last names on the reverse side.
Documents, deadlines, application portfolio
- The application form (clearly legible), the web form for online registration and the declaration that you are solely responsible for the samples of your work used for admission can all be found, in good time for the end of the application period, on the Dean's Office website at www.fk8.uni-wuppertal.de/index.php
- An officially certified copy of the certificate of general or relevant subject-related higher education entrance qualification or an officially certified copy of a certificate recognized as equivalent by law or by the competent authority; in justified exceptional cases, the certificate may be submitted later, at any point up to the time of enrollment. If the certificate is not available by the end of the application period, the school's certificate of admission to the Abitur examination (not a half-year certificate) must be submitted either in original (with the school's stamp) or as a certified copy. The certificate of entrance qualification must then be submitted later. It is not possible to apply with only an advanced technical college certificate.
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form
- A portfolio of samples of the student's own artistic/creative work as described in the appendix. Please mark all sheets individ-ually with first and last names.
- A USB stick with photos of all submitted work samples, to be archived in the examination file. Simple mobile phone pictures are sufficient, as these photos are not included in the evaluation.
International applicants should consult the information for prospective students with foreign educational qualifications.
The link www.internationales.uni-wuppertal.de/fileadmin/internationales/files/Allgemeine_Informationen.pdf also lists all the necessary documents to be submitted (e.g. certified copies of certificates of education acquired abroad and their translations; proof of German lan-guage proficiency at DSH2 level; a certified copy of a valid Academic Evaluation Centre (APS) certificate for applicants from the People's Republic of China and some other countries; as well as proof of exemption from the Uni-Assist application procedure).
Incomplete application documents and portfolios larger than DIN A1 format cannot be accepted.
What, how, when, where?
The PDFs and links below contain all the information you need about documentation, dates and deadlines, details of your application portfolio, and the current task.
Dates for portfolio counseling can be found further down on this page.
verbindliche Termine und Bewerbungsvordruck
The admission procedure for the BA program in industrial design consists of the following steps: (to put it officially and somewhat clumsily: Determination of Artistic and Creative Suitability)
- announcement of the topic for the application portfolio
- preparation of the portfolio by the applicant
- submission of the portfolio together with the application papers
- oral examination / colloquium
- announcement of admissions list
Deadline for submission
Your documents, along with your sample portfolio can be handed in personally from 9.30 to 13.00 on 27 and 28 May 2019 in Building I, Room I-13.55 (ground floor), Fuhlrottstraße 10, 42119 Wuppertal.
If you choose to send your application documents (including portfolio) by post, they must arrive at the Dean's Office no later than 28 May 2019.
Bergische Universität Wuppertal
Fakultät für Design und Kunst
Dekanat – Sekretariat für Studium und Lehre
Kennwort: Eignungsfeststellungsverfahren Industrial Design
Please note that the stated dates and times are strictly applied. Applicants who submit application documents after 28 May 2019 will not be considered for the aptitude test.
Following the portfolio review (mid-June), you will receive a written decision from the selection board of admission or non-admission to the main procedure. In the case of admission, you will be informed of a date for the oral examination (most likely 03 July 2019) to discuss the submitted sample portfolio.
The result of the final assessment will be communicated to you in writing in mid-July.
Please avoid telephone calls and e-mail enquiries, since these hinder us in completing the procedure promptly.
The confirmation of your artistic and creative aptitude for the Industrial Design Bachelor's degree program remains valid for the next three enrollment dates; for successful evaluations in July 2019, up to and including winter semester 2021/22.
Information and answers to your questions about applications and/or the degree program:
Fridays at 14:00 on 18.1.2019, 22.2., 29.3.and 12.4.2019 in Building I, Level 16, Room 59.
Info days for schools
Studying industrial design: Monday, 14.01.2019 at 16:30 in Building I, Level 13, Room 47: Schriefers Design Collection
on Friday 18th January, 2019 at 10:00.
A spectacular event in the 3rd semester taking place in Building I, Level 13 Foyer
Friday 18th March 2019 from 19:00.
Building I, Level 13 Foyer - the presentation of the final papers and term papers
All in Building I: Fuhlrottstr. 10, 42119 Wuppertal
Specialist academic counseling with teaching staff by individual arrangement
For more information, please subscribe to our mailing list. We will keep you up to date.